Employment Opportunity – Managing Editor
BlackFlash Magazine is a nationally recognized, contemporary visual arts magazine celebrating thirty-five years of continuous publishing. The magazine commissions critical writing and showcases the work of emerging and established photographic, video, and new media artists. It produces three print issues per year with ongoing publishing on BlackFlash.ca. The magazine is operated by a non-profit organization based in Saskatoon.
Managing Editor Position Summary
BlackFlash Magazine is seeking a creative, motivated individual for the position of Managing Editor. The successful candidate will have publishing experience, familiarity with BlackFlash, and a vision for the future direction of the magazine. The Managing Editor reports to a board of directors and must have the ability to manage different priorities in a self-directed work environment. The successful candidate will have a passion for contemporary art and a broad network of professional contacts within Canada. The Managing Editor will start in February 2018, and can expect to work 35 hours per week.
- Supervise the day-to-day operations of the organization
- Coordinate editorial process with editorial committee and guest editors
- Manage production schedule
- Provide financial oversight
- Coordinate grant applications and reporting
- Manage ad sales & circulation
- Manage online presence
- Liaise with other agencies, organizations, and groups
- Highly organized with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Working knowledge of publishing software
- Ability to manage different priorities in a self-directed work environment
- Relevant experience in a similar position
- Relevant education or equivalent experience
- Experience working in the arts or with a non-profit organization is an asset
This is a full-time position with a 6-month probationary period. Salary will commence at $32,000 and increase upon completion of the probationary period. The position offers a competitive benefits plan with generous vacation and professional development time. A moving allowance will be considered.
Interested applicants are invited to submit their resume, cover letter and three references by email to email@example.com by January 19.